Remember when Trump said he loves the generals? Well that doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. With McMaster on the way out, and Kelly likely to go soon, the trifecta basic adults in the room are no longer. With the generals gone, Trump seems to have ample amounts of time to watch cable news shows. Only Mattis remains in Trump’s good graces, and in the past few days Trump has hired or is thinking of hiring the following TV people
- The Director of the National Economic Council Larry Kudlow, ran a successful CNBC talk show for years and is a well known TV personality
- White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon, was the effective head conservative outlet Breitbart News.
- Trump 2020 campaign senior adviser Katrina Pierson was a 2016 Trump campaign national spokesperson in 2016 and regular CNN contributor
- Heather Nauert was a Fox and Friends Co-Host before she took the jobs as Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs and spokesperson for the United States Department of State
- Assistant to the President and Director of Communications for the Office of Public Liaison Omarosa Manigault is a well known reality TV star from The Apprentice days. Resigned from the WH
- Deputy Assistant to the President Sebastian Gorka often appeared on Hannity and works for Fox News. Resigned from the WH.
- Trump is also thinking about filling Rex Tillerson’s empty Secretary of State position and giving it to well known Fox News personality John Bolton.
Just about every single member of the Trump cabinet has appeared on TV at various times to try to defend Trump agenda. Sam Nunberg, Corey Lewandowski, and Anthony “The Mooch,” Scaramucci have all captivated the public’s attention. Various ex-members of the Trump cabinet have also gotten full-time gigs as contributors on TV channels like CNN. Trump watches Fox & Friends religiously every single day, often calls into Fox News at night to Hannity or Justice with Judge Jeanine and often praises Fox News personalities for saying nice things about him.
It is also said that Trump is in contact with some of the more alt-right news personalities like Alex Jones, and still communicates with Bannon.
Trump now says that despite hiring, “the best people,” before, he is now hiring the cabinet that he wants. In reality Trump is just surrounding himself with more TV pundits. The Trump official response to all this TV watching, is of course, that he doesn’t watch TV.